Ontario College Diploma | 4 semesters | Barrydowne
Cambrian’s experienced faculty will train you to safely and efficiently handle the rigors of this fast-paced and often very intense profession that is also extremely rewarding.
Courses focus on basic and advanced patient care, with supporting subjects in high acuity pathologies, biological sciences, humanities and EMS services. Clinical practice, planned concurrently with classes, emphasizes emergency care procedures. You will learn how to prevent or reduce complications in the care of the sick and injured during the pre-hospital and transport phase of patient care. In addition to providing emergency medical care, you will be trained to identify and correct potential health and safety hazards.
- 2 years – 4 semesters
- 2 Clinical Rotations
- 1 Preceptorship (450 hrs)
- CMA Accreditation
- Extensive hands-on training in the safe transport of ill and injured patients through simulated drills and a clinical placement at a hospital or with an ambulance service
- Cambrian’s PET Test will ensure your physical fitness level meets professional standards
You will have a rotation of clinical placement in area hospitals and in-town and out-of-town ambulance services. You must be prepared to cover the cost incurred in clinical and preceptorship in-town and out-of-town. You must be Educationally Certified by a provincial Medical Direction prior to preceptorship. You will be required to cover this cost.
Registration to Practice
Upon completion of this program, you must be successful in a theoretical examination set by the Ministry of Health, Emergency Health Services Branch, Ontario in order to be certified as a Paramedic and thus, to be eligible to work in an ambulance service in Ontario. The cost for the examination process is the responsibility of the graduate.
Please note that possession of the requirements does not guarantee admission. If the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of places available in the program, the College reserves the right to select from among those applicants. All students applying by February 1 will be given equal consideration. Preference will be given to Ontario residents. Please see the Limited Enrolment F.A.Q.'s on our website under "How to Apply" for further details.
For graduates of the new curriculum (OSS): Ontario Secondary School Diploma (30 credits) or equivalent or mature student status, including:
- Any grade 12 English (C), (U), or (M)
- Any grade 11 or 12 biology (C) or (U)
- Any grade 11 or 12 chemistry (C) or (U)
Please note: A minimum of 60% is required in each prerequisite course.
- Cambrian College's Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Advanced Diplomas and Degrees (PHPG) program is the designed preferred preparatory program for admission to Cambrian College's limited enrolment Health Sciences programs. Limited enrolment programs are identified within the detailed program descriptions. The minimum GPA and grades required for successful admission will be determined by the quality and quantity of the applicant pool.
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate
- Current CPR (HCP level)
- Must obtain a valid Ontario Class "F" driver's license prior to December 31 of the enrolled year.
- Criminal record check (Vulnerable Sector Screening included) to satisfy the requirements of the Ambulance Act (prior to Dec. 31 of enrolled year).
- Hepatitis B immunization and immunization status current
- Students are required to attend an information session prior to receiving final admission into the program. Although attendance is required, this session is not a pass/fail component. This session includes participation in fitness exercises, which will be at a reasonable additional cost to the student
- Applicants should have a good level of physical fitness, flexibility, and lifting strength. Physical fitness testing will be ongoing throughout the program. Students must meet the College's minimum requirements to graduate.
Upon completion of this program, graduates must be successful in a theoretical examination set by the Ministry of Health, Emergency Health Services Branch, Ontario in order to be certified as a Paramedic and thus, to be eligible to work in an ambulance service in Ontario. The cost for the examination process is the responsibility of the graduate.
This program will be delivered in the following terms:
Fall Term Start
- SEMESTER 1 Fall 2018
- SEMESTER 2 Winter 2019
- SEMESTER 3 Fall 2019
- SEMESTER 4 Winter 2020
For specific term start/end dates and other key dates/deadlines, please see the Academic Schedule on our website.
Program of Study
|BIO 1107||Anatomy Physiology I||3|
|PAR 1002||Patient Care Procedures I||4|
|PAR 1100||Medico - Legal Aspects||2|
|PAR 1141||Patient Care Theory I||4|
|PAR 1242||Ambulance Operations||2|
|PSY 1106||Interpersonal Tactical Response||3|
|FIT 1101||Physical Fitness and Wellness||2|
|One of the following General Education courses:||3|
|Fungus Among Us||3|
|Thinking, Reasoning, Relating||3|
|BIO 1207||Anatomy Physiology II||3|
|ENG 1121||Research Writing/Health Sciences||3|
|FIT 1201||Physical Fitness and Wellness||2|
|PAR 1003||Patient Care Procedures II||4|
|PAR 1006||Clinical Experience||2|
|PAR 1241||Patient Care Theory II||4|
|PAR 1251||Principles of Pharmacology||2|
|One of the following General Education courses:||3|
|Concurrent Disorders, Mental Health Addictions||3|
|Issues and Ethics in Science||3|
|ENG 1215||College Writing II||3|
|PAR 1004||Adv. Skills/Primary Care Para||5|
|PAR 1005||Patient Care Procedures III||4|
|PAR 1007||Ambulance Field and Clinical||3|
|PAR 1301||Independent Fitness Evaluation||1|
|PAR 1320||Adv Skills/Primary Care Para Theory||2|
|PAR 1335||Prof. Issues, Research Leadership||2|
|PAR 1341||Patient Care Theory III||4|
|PAR 1345||Lifting Competency Evaluation||1|
|The following General Education course:||3|
|Introduction To Gerontology||3|
|PAR 1008||Ambulance Field Consolidation||11|
|PAR 1405||Paramedic Comprehensive Review||2|
|PAR 1410||Independent Study||3|
Tuition and Ancillary Fees
Please see our fees page for the breakdown of tuition and mandatory ancillary fees by program and semester for both domestic and international students
Books & Supplies
The cost of books and supplies for Year 1 is approximately $1,900. This is the best information available at the time of publishing to the website and is subject to change.
Certified Paramedics may find appropriate employment in an ambulance service in Ontario, other provinces in Canada, or internationally.
College/University Degree Opportunities
Graduates from this program may continue their studies at college/university and may receive credit for their prior College education.
Refer to College/University Agreements for further information.
Graduates from Cambrian (who have successfully completed provincial certification) may also choose to apply directly into Cambrian's Advanced Care Flight Paramedic Program. Please refer to APPD for requirements.
Please note: Cambrian College strives to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website. Please note that the academic curriculum is continually reviewed and revised to ensure that Cambrian's programs and courses remain relevant. The College reserves the right to cancel or make changes to any course or program, fee, procedure, or campus location at any time.