Practical Nursing (PNDP)
Ontario College Diploma | 4 semesters | Barrydowne
If providing care and helping to improve the lives of others is your passion, consider a career as a registered practical nurse (RPN). Cambrian's program, which is approved by the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO), offers you hands-on experience, smaller class sizes, and unique placement opportunities. You'll practice clinical skills in our high-tech nursing labs and advance your skills by working alongside healthcare professionals in the community.
- 2 years – 4 semesters
- 5 placements, including an 8-week clinical consolidation placement in semester four
- Hands-on training in Cambrian's high-tech nursing labs
- Graduates can apply to write the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) certification exam
Cambrian's program is currently approved (Category 1) by the College of Nurses of Ontario. Current graduates from this program are eligible to apply for registration as a Registered Practical Nurse in Ontario.
For graduates of the new curriculum (OSS): Ontario Secondary School Diploma (30 credits) or equivalent or mature student status, including:
- Any grade 12 English (C) or (U)
- Any grade 11 (U) or (C) or grade 12 biology (U)
- Any grade 11 (U) or grade 12 chemistry (C) or (U)
- Any grade 11 (C), (U) or (M) or grade 12 mathematics (C) or (U)
Please note: A minimum combined overall average of 70% is required in the prerequisite courses listed above.
- Computer competency in relevant software
Note: Cambrian College's Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Advanced Diplomas and Degrees (PHPG) program is the designated preferred preparatory program for admission to Cambrian College's limited enrolment Health Sciences programs. Limited enrolment programs are identified within the detailed program descriptions. The minimum GPA and grades required for successful admission will be determined by the quality and quantity of the applicant pool.
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support Certificate Level (HCP) Health Care Provider (must be current for entire program)
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate (must be current for entire program)
- Mask testing (for N-95 mask)
- Criminal record check
- WHMIS certification Proof of immunization status at registration for the following:
- Two-step TB test
- Immunizations: Measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, polio
- Current tetanus - diphtheria vaccination
- Current influenza immunization (when available for season)
- Hepatitis B vaccination
- If born after 1970, must have 2 measles vaccinations
- Hepatitis A vaccination is recommended but not require
Note: Criminal record check, influenza immunization, TB skin test, WHMIS and Basic Cardiac Life Support certificates MUST be renewed on an annual basis - there is a fee required for these renewals. Proof of previous varicella infection (chickenpox) must be supplied if not immunized for this disease.
This program will be delivered in the following terms:
Fall Term Start
- SEMESTER 1 Fall 2021
- SEMESTER 2 Winter 2022
- SEMESTER 3 Fall 2022
- SEMESTER 4 Winter 2023
For specific term start/end dates and other key dates/deadlines, please see the Academic Schedule on our website.
Program of Study
|ENG 1121||Research & Writing/Health Sciences||3|
|PND 1001||Technical Concepts Health Care||3|
|BIO 1182||Anatomy & Physiology I - Nursing||3|
|PND 1002||Nursing Practice I||4|
|PND 1003||Nursing Theory I||3|
|PND 1004||Professional Growth I||3|
|PND 1105||Human Relations||3|
|HEA 1062||Indigenous Perspectives on Care||3|
|PND 1000||Health Assessment||4|
|BIO 1209||Anatomy & Physiology II - Nursing||3|
|PND 1005||Nursing Theory II||3|
|PND 1012||Nursing Practice II||8|
|One General Education course. 1||3|
|PND 2325||Professional Growth II||3|
|PND 1013||Nursing Practice III||8|
|PND 1101||Nursing Theory III||3|
|BIO 1031||Pathophysiology I||3|
|One General Education course. 1||3|
|PND 1014||Nursing Practice IV||10|
|PND 1106||Simulation in Nursing Practice||4|
|PND 1102||Nursing Theory IV||3|
|BIO 1032||Pathophysiology II||3|
|One General Education course 1||3|
For more information regarding General Education courses, click here.
Tuition and Ancillary Fees
Please see our fees page for the breakdown of tuition and mandatory ancillary fees by program and semester for both domestic and international students.
Books & Supplies
The cost of books and supplies for Year 1 is approximately $2,000. This is the best information available at the time of publishing to the website and is subject to change.
Graduates are prepared for employment opportunities in:
- Long-term care facilities
- Health care facilities, services, and programs
College/University Degree Opportunities
Graduates from this program may continue their studies at college/university and may receive credit for their prior College education.
Refer to College/University Agreements for further information.
Please note: Cambrian College strives to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website. Please note that the academic curriculum is continually reviewed and revised to ensure that Cambrian's programs and courses remain relevant. The College reserves the right to cancel or make changes to any course or program, fee, procedure, or campus location at any time.