Certificate of Completion | Online
In this 10-week micro-credential, students will be introduced to the field of early childhood education and the basic knowledge and skills as a stepping stone to future studies and work in an early years and child care setting. The program will include 8 weeks of learning and a 2-week placement in the field. The 2022-2023 intakes for this program are offered at no cost to domestic students and permanent residents (see Fees for details).
OSSD or Mature Student Status
- Any grade 12 English (C), (U), or (M)
- Any grade 11 or 12 family studies (C), (U), or (M)
- Computer competency in relevant software
Field placements are an important component of the program. Agencies will require students to have additional medical and non-medical documents prior to the completion of any community based placement. Required documentation includes:
- a vulnerable sector check
- health documentation (up-to-date immunization, Two-step TB test, freedom from communicable disease)
- Field certifications - Bill 18 requirements
During the Pre-ECE program, students will complete three non-academic training sessions, including:
- First Aid and CPR
- Food Handler / Safety
- Workplace Health and Safety
Furthering Your Studies
In order to obtain the Certificate of Completion, the following courses must be completed:
|Course Code||Course Title||Credits|
|ECE 1600||Intro to Child Development||1|
|ECE 1601||How Does Learning Happen?||1|
|ECE 1602||Intro to Early Years||1|
|ECE 1603||Communication Skills for Child Care||1|
|ECE 1604||Children with Exceptionalities||1|
|ECE 1605||Placement Preparedness Seminar||1|
|ECE 1606||Pre-ECE Placement||2|
Tuition and Ancillary Fees
The Fall 2022 and Winter 2023 tuition and ancillary fees are paid in full by the District of Nipissing Social Services Administration Board (DSSAB).
- The 2022-2023 intakes for this program are offered at no cost to domestic students and permanent residents.
- Additional training is fully funded for the Fall 2022 and the Winter 2023 sessions.
- The field placement is paid and the costs associated with required documentation for placements are available for reimbursement.
This Pre-Early Childhood Education program is scheduled for two deliveries for the 2022-23 Academic Year:
|Intake||Start Date||End Date|
|FALL 2022||October 11||December 16|
|WINTER 2023||January 9||March 17|
Most courses are delivered online asynchronously. Your professor shares learning resources and activities with you in a flexible way. The Placement Preparedness Seminar will be delivered synchronously online which will require your participation in the class at a specific time once per week. The Placement and some non-academic training will require in-person participation. You will be responsible for meeting all course requirements, dates and deadlines as posted within the syllabus.
Please note: Cambrian College strives to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website. Please note that the academic curriculum is continually reviewed and revised to ensure that Cambrian's programs and courses remain relevant. The College reserves the right to cancel or make changes to any course or program, fee, procedure, or campus location at any time.