Medical Laboratory Technology (MDLY)
Ontario College Advanced Diploma | 6 semesters | Barrydowne
Become a behind-the-scenes member of the health care team. Cambrian's program will prepare you with the medical detective skills to analyze and interpret scientific data to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of disease. As a certified medical laboratory technologist, you'll find a wide range of career opportunities in hospitals, private practices/labs, consulting, sales, and more.
A combination of theoretical and laboratory courses and clinical practicum training will prepare you for entry-level medical laboratory technology practice in each of the following five disciplines:
- Clinical Hematology - blood and blood disorders including coagulopathies
- Transfusion Science - preparation and transfusion of blood and blood products
- Clinical Chemistry - determination of the presence, absence, or quantity of chemical substances in body fluids
- Clinical Microbiology - detection of bacteria, fungi, viruses, and other pathogens
- Clinical Histotechnology - gross dissection and preparation of body fluids and tissues for microscopy
- 3 years – 6 semesters
- Third year clinical practicum training in an accredited hospital or private laboratory
- Theoretical and practical training in clinical hematology, transfusion science, clinical chemistry, clinical microbiology, and clinical histotechnology
- Graduates are eligible to write the national certification examination administered by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Sciences (CSMLS)
In the final two semesters of the program, you will be placed in an accredited clinical laboratory where you will function, under supervision, as a member of the clinical laboratory team. You may be required to complete your clinical placement out of town. You must be financially prepared to relocate and support yourself away from Sudbury for your clinical placement. You may complete your clinical placement at one of the following sites:
- Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre, Thunder Bay
- Timmins and District Hospital, Timmins
- West Nipissing General Hospital, Sturgeon Falls
- West Parry Sound Health Centre, Parry Sound
- Blind River District Health Centre, Blind River
- Dryden Regional Health Centre, Dryden
- Health Sciences North / Horizon Santé-Nord, Sudbury
- Kirkland and District Hospital, Kirkland Lake
- Lake of the Woods District Hospital, Kenora
- LifeLabs, Sudbury
- North Bay Regional Health Centre, North Bay
- Riverside Health Care Facilities, Fort Frances
- Sault Area Hospital, Sault Ste. Marie
- Sensenbrenner Hospital, Kapuskasing
- Meno-Ya-Win Health Centre, Sioux Lookout
- St. Joseph’s Health Centre, Elliot Lake
- Hôpital Notre-Dame Hospital, Hearst
- Temiskaming Hospital, New Liskeard
- Hanover District Hospital, Hanover
- Grey Bruce Health Services, Owen Sound
- Muskoka Algonquin Healthcare, Huntsville / Bracebridge
- Royal Victoria Regional Health Center, Barrie
Registration to Practice
Graduates are eligible to write the national certification examination conducted by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS). Certification qualifies you for registration with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO) which is a requirement to practice in Ontario.
The Medical Laboratory Technology program’s six-year accreditation status is honoured by Accreditation Canada.
Please note that possession of the prerequisite course requirements does not guarantee admission. If the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of places available in the program, the College reserves the right to select from among those applicants. All students applying by February 1 will be given equal consideration. Preference will be given to Ontario residents. Please see the Limited Enrolment F.A.Q.'s on our website under "How to Apply" for further details.
For graduates of the new curriculum Ontario Secondary School Diploma (30 credits) curriculum or equivalent or mature student status, including:
- Any grade 12 English (C) or (U)
- Any grade 12 mathematics (C) or (U)
- Any grade 12 chemistry (C) or (U)
- Any grade 11 (U) or (C) or grade 12 biology (U)
Please note: A minimum of 75% is required in each prerequisite course.
- Computer competency in relevant software
Graduates of recognized Medical Laboratory Assistant programs may be eligible for advanced standing into the second semester of the program, provided there are seats and clinical placements available.
Note: Cambrian College's Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Advanced Diplomas and Degrees (PHPG) program is the designated preferred preparatory program for admission to Cambrian College's limited enrolment health sciences programs. Limited enrolment programs are identified within the detailed program descriptions. The minimum GPA and grades required for successful admission will be determined by the quality and quantity of the applicant pool.
Registered CSMLS members pay a reduced cost for the national certification exam. Students can register as members with CSMLS for periods of 2 years or 4 years at a reasonable additional cost. In 2019, the cost to write the CSMLS exam for a member was $1030 while the cost for non-members was be $1365. For more information, please visit the CSMLS.
This program will be delivered in the following terms:
Fall Term Start
- SEMESTER 1 Fall 2020
- SEMESTER 2 Winter 2021
- SEMESTER 3 Fall 2021
- SEMESTER 4 Winter 2022
- SEMESTER 5 Fall 2022
- SEMESTER 6 Winter 2023
For specific term start/end dates and other key dates/deadlines, please see the Academic Schedule on our website.
Program of Study
|CHM 1011||Clinical Chemistry I||2|
|ENG 1121||Research & Writing/Health Sciences||3|
|MLT 1024||Principles and Practice I||5|
|MLT 1021||Laboratory Safety||2|
|MLT 1026||MLT Medical Terminology||2|
|Two General Education courses. 2||6|
|BIO 1017||Clinical Microbiology I||5|
|CHM 1004||Clinical Chemistry II||5|
|MLT 1010||Molecular Techniques||3|
|MLT 1011||Principles & Practice II||4|
|MLT 1013||Clinical Hematology I||2|
|MLT 1027||MLT Micro and Gross Anatomy||3|
|One General Education course. 2||3|
|BIO 1012||Clinical Microbiology II||6|
|CHM 1006||Clinical Chemistry III||6|
|MLT 1015||Clinical Hematology II||6|
|MLT 1028||Histotechnology I||6|
|MLT 1025||Transfusion Science I||6|
|BIO 1013||Clinical Microbiology III||6|
|CHM 1007||Clinical Chemistry IV||6|
|MLT 1017||Transfusion Science II||6|
|MLT 1019||Clinical Hematology III||6|
|MLT 1029||Histotechnology II||6|
|MLT 3560||Clinical Transfusion Science 1||8|
|MLT 3562||Clinical Chemistry 1||8|
|MLT 3564||Clinical Hematology 1||8|
|MLT 3566||Clinical Microbiology 1||8|
|MLT 3568||Clinical Histotechnology 1||8|
|MLT 1023||Comprehensive Exam Review||2|
Full Year Course
For more information regarding General Education courses, click here.
Tuition and Ancillary Fees
Please see our fees page for the breakdown of tuition and mandatory ancillary fees by program and semester for both domestic and international students.
Books & Supplies
The cost of books and supplies for Year 1 is approximately $2,000. This is the best information available at the time of publishing to the website and is subject to change.
While most medical laboratory technologists (MLTs) work in public hospital laboratories, MLTs also find challenging employment in other areas. From industrial research and public health laboratories to forensic and pharmaceutical laboratories, the MLT’s analytical, scientific, and technical skills are a valuable asset. Other career options may include:
- Sales and marketing
- Research and product systems
- Laboratory information systems
- Supervision / administration / management
- Public health / infection control
- Technical support
- Quality assurance / total quality improvement
- Forensic biological sciences
College/University Degree Opportunities
Graduates from this program may continue their studies at college/university and may receive credit for their prior College education.
Refer to College/University Agreements for further information.
Please note: Cambrian College strives to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website. Please note that the academic curriculum is continually reviewed and revised to ensure that Cambrian's programs and courses remain relevant. The College reserves the right to cancel or make changes to any course or program, fee, procedure, or campus location at any time.