Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) (MRIP)
Ontario College Graduate Certificate |
2 semesters | Barrydowne
If you have the natural ability to put people at ease and can maintain a high level of accuracy, organization, and patience during stressful situations in a fast-paced environment, a career as a Medical Resonance Imaging Technologist could be for you. In just eight months, Cambrian's program will provide you with the technical skills needed to excel in this field while exposing you to the day-to-day demands of this profession through a clinical placement in a hospital.
Cambrian's accredited program prepares you for the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologist's entry-to-practice certification exam in Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- 1 year – 2 semesters
- Placement in semester two in an accredited hospital in Ontario
- One of only two colleges in Ontario that offer this program - and the only full-time program of its kind
- Grads are eligible to write the national certification exam set by the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT)
A clinical placement is a requirement for completion of this certificate. The clinical semester will be delivered at an approved clinical partner of Cambrian College. Information on placement sites will be available at the time of acceptance.
The MRI program’s 6 year accreditation status is honoured by Accreditation Canada
Please note that possession of the requirements does not guarantee admission. If the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of places available in the program, the College reserves the right to select from among those applicants. All students applying by February 1 will be given equal consideration. Preference will be given to Ontario residents. Please see the Limited Enrolment F.A.Q.'s on our website under "How to Apply" for further details.
- Graduation from a Canadian Medical Association accredited and relevant diploma or degree program. Preference will be given to graduates of Medical Radiation Imaging Sciences – Radiologic Technology, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, and Diagnostic Ultrasonography programs. Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Kinesiology, Biomedical Biology and Biomedical Physics degree programs may also be considered.
- Completion of the MRI Application Screening Form
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support Certificate Level (HCP) Health Care Provider (must be current for entire program)
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate (must be current for entire program)
- Mask testing (for N-95 mask)
- Criminal record check
- WHMIS certification Proof of immunization status at registration for the following:
- Two-step TB test
- Immunizations: Measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, polio
- Current tetanus - diphtheria vaccination
- Current influenza immunization (when available for season)
- Hepatitis B vaccination
- If born after 1970, must have 2 measles vaccinations
- Hepatitis A vaccination is recommended but not required
All health science students are required to submit the additional requirement information by appointment with Paramed. Paramed Requisite forms and instructions are posted to your mycambrian account under Student Tab
Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate must write the CAMRT (Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists) MRI certification examination to become registered. In Ontario, the College of Medical Radiation Technologists of Ontario recognizes and accepts the CAMRT certification exam for registration purposes. Graduates must register with the College of Medical Radiation Technologists of Ontario to be eligible for employment in Ontario. The cost for the examination/registration process is the responsibility of the graduate and will be required in the second semester of the program.
This program will be delivered in the following terms:
Fall Term Start
- SEMESTER 1 Fall 2018
- SEMESTER 2 Winter 2019
For specific term start/end dates and other key dates/deadlines, please see the Academic Schedule on our website.
Program of Study
|MRI 1002||MRI Techniques Clinical Applications||4|
|MRI 1012||Head/Neck/Spinal Column/MSK||3|
|MRI 1004||Physical Properties/Principles MRI||4|
|MRI 1005||MRI Procedures||4|
|MRI 1009||MRI Patient Care and Safety||4|
|MRI 1011||MRI Pathology||4|
|MRI 1010||MRI Clinical Preparedness||2|
|MRI 1007||Comprehensive Review||3|
|MRI 1013||MRI Clinical Practicum||9|
Tuition and Ancillary Fees
Please see our fees page for the breakdown of tuition and mandatory ancillary fees by program and semester for both domestic and international students
Books & Supplies
The cost of books and supplies for Year 1 is approximately $1,000. This is the best information available at the time of publishing to the website and is subject to change.
Graduates may find employment in:
College/University Degree Opportunities
Graduates from this program may continue their studies at college/university and may receive credit for their prior College education.
Refer to College/University Agreements for further information.
Please note: Cambrian College strives to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website. Please note that the academic curriculum is continually reviewed and revised to ensure that Cambrian's programs and courses remain relevant. The College reserves the right to cancel or make changes to any course or program, fee, procedure, or campus location at any time.