Medical Laboratory Technology (MLTY)
Ontario College Advanced Diploma | 7 semesters | Barrydowne | Limited Enrolment
Become a behind-the-scenes member of health care teams. Cambrian's program will prepare you with the medical detective skills to analyze and interpret scientific data to detect health issues and recommend courses of treatment for patients. As a certified medical laboratory technologist, you'll find a wide range of career opportunities in hospitals, private practices/labs, consulting, sales, and more.
A combination of classroom learning, laboratory exercises, and clinical placements prepare you for entry-level medical laboratory technology practice in each of the following five disciplines:
- Clinical hematology - Blood and blood disorders including coagulopathies
- Transfusion science medicine - Preparation and transfusion of blood and blood products
- Clinical chemistry - Determination of the presence, absence, or quantity of chemical substances in body fluids
- Clinical microbiology - Detection of bacteria, fungi, viruses, and other pathogens
- Clinical histotechnology - Gross dissection and preparation of body fluids and tissues for microscopy
- 3 years – 7 semesters
- 3 placements in an accredited laboratory
- Courses and lab work cover hematology, transfusion science medicine, chemistry, microbiology, and pathology
- Grads are eligible to write the national certification examination conducted by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Sciences (CSMLS)
In the final three semesters, you will be placed in an accredited clinical laboratory where you will function, under supervision, as a member of the clinical laboratory team. You may be required to complete your clinical placement out of town. You must be financially prepared to relocate and support yourself away from Sudbury for your clinical placement. You may complete your clinical placement at one of the following sites:
- Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre, Thunder Bay
- Timmins and District Hospital, Timmins
- West Nipissing General Hospital, Sturgeon Falls
- West Parry Sound Health Centre, Parry Sound
- Blind River District Health Centre, Blind River
- Dryden Regional Health Centre, Dryden
- Health Sciences North/ Horizon Santé-Nord, Sudbury
- Kirkland and District Hospital, Kirkland Lake
- Lake of the Woods District Hospital, Kenora
- LifeLabs, Sudbury
- North Bay Regional Health Centre, North Bay
- Riverside Health Care Facilities, Fort Frances
- Sault Area Hospital, Sault Ste. Marie
- Sensenbrenner Hospital, Kapuskasing
- Meno-Ya-Win Health Centre, Sioux Lookout
- St. Joseph’s Health Center, Elliot Lake
- Hôpital Notre-Dame Hospital, Hearst
- Temiskaming Hospital, New Liskeard
- Georgian Bay General Hospital, Midland
Registration to Practice
Graduates are eligible to write the national certification examinations conducted by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Sciences (CSMLS). Certification qualifies you for registration with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO), which is a requirement to practice in Ontario.
Limited Enrolment - 60 seats available
Please note that possession of the requirements for application to the MLTY program does not guarantee admission. If the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of places available in the program, Cambrian College reserves the right to select from among those qualified applicants. All students applying by February 1 will be given equal consideration. Preference will be given to Ontario residents.
For graduates of the new curriculum Ontario Secondary School Diploma (30 credits) curriculum or equivalent or mature student status, including:
- Grade 12 English (C) or (U)
- Grade 12 mathematics (C) or (U)
- Grade 12 chemistry (C) or (U)
- Grade 11 or 12 biology (C) or (U)
Please note: A minimum of 75% is required in each prerequisite course.
- computer competency in relevant software
Graduates of recognized Medical Laboratory Assistant programs may be eligible for advanced standing into the second semester of the program, provided there is space and that clinical opportunities are available.
Note: Cambrian College's Pre-Health Sciences (HLPG) program is the designated preferred preparatory program for admission to Cambrian College's limited enrolment health sciences programs. Limited enrolment programs are identified within the detailed program descriptions. The minimum GPA and grades required for successful admission will be determined by the quality and quantity of the applicant pool.
Graduates of Cambrian's MLTY program are eligible to write the national certification examination conducted by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
Registered CSMLS members pay a reduced cost for the national certification exam. Students can register as members with CSMLS for periods of 2 years or 4 years at a reasonable additional cost. In 2015 - 2016, the cost to write the CSMLS exam for a member will be $720 while the cost for non-members will be $950. For more information, please visit the CSMLS website (www.csmls.org).
Medical laboratory science is a regulated health profession. Certification qualifies the graduate for registration with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO), which is a requirement to practice in Ontario.
Semester 1 - Fall 2016
Semester 2 - Winter 2017
Semester 3 - Fall 2017
Semester 4 - Winter 2018
Semester 5 - Fall 2018
Semester 6 - Winter 2019
Semester 7 - Spring 2019
Program of Study
|BIO 1001||Anatomy Physiology||3|
|CHM 1001||Clinical Chemistry I||4|
|ENG 1121||Research Writing/Health Sciences||3|
|MLT 1004||Principles Practice I||4|
|MLT 1008||Laboratory Math||3|
|The following General Education course:||3|
|Thinking, Reasoning, Relating||3|
|One of the following General Education courses:||3|
|Introduction To Gerontology||3|
|Social Issues/Social Welfare in CA||3|
|BIO 1011||Clinical Microbiology I||3|
|CHM 1004||Clinical Chemistry II||5|
|MLT 1010||Molecular Techniques||3|
|MLT 1011||Principles Practice II||4|
|MLT 1012||Histotechnology I||2|
|MLT 1013||Clinical Hematology I||2|
|One of the following General Education courses:||3|
|Concurrent Disorders, Mental Health Addictions||3|
|Introduction To Sociology||3|
|BIO 1012||Clinical Microbiology II||6|
|CHM 1006||Clinical Chemistry III||6|
|MLT 1014||Histotechnology II||5|
|MLT 1015||Clinical Hematology II||6|
|MLT 1016||Transfusion Science I||5|
|BIO 1013||Clinical Microbiology III||6|
|CHM 1007||Clinical Chemistry IV||6|
|MLT 1017||Transfusion Science II||6|
|MLT 1018||Histotechnology III||2|
|MLT 1019||Clinical Hematology III||6|
|MLT 1020||Program Management||2|
|MLT 3509||Clinical Transfusion Science I||4|
|MLT 3510||Clinical Chemistry V||4|
|MLT 3565||Clinical Hematology IV||4|
|MLT 3508||Clinical Microbiology IV||4|
|MLT 3520||Clinical Histotechnology III||4|
|MLT 3615||Clinical Microbiology V||4|
|MLT 3625||Clin. Transfusion Science II||4|
|MLT 3630||Clinical Chemistry VI||4|
|MLT 3640||Clinical Histotechnology IV||4|
|MLT 3665||Clinical Hematology V||4|
Tuition Fee (Canadian Students)
The tuition fee for the 2015-2016 academic year is $6,694.70. Next year's tuition fees will be available by May 1, 2016.
Tuition Fee (International Students)
The tuition fee for the 2015-2016 academic year is $17,889.24 for two semesters of study. Next year's tuition fees will be available by May 1, 2016.
Books & Supplies
The estimated cost of books and supplies for 2015-2016 is approximately $2,000. This is the best information available at the time of publishing to the website and is subject to change.
While most medical laboratory technologists (MLTs) work in hospitals, physicians' offices, and private laboratories, MLTs also find challenging employment in other areas. From industrial research and public health laboratories to forensic and pharmaceutical laboratories, the MLTs analytical, scientific, and technical skills are a valuable asset. Other career options may include:
- Sales and marketing
- Research and product systems
- Laboratory information systems
- Public health/infection control
- Technical support
- Quality assurance/total quality improvement
- Forensic biological sciences
University Degree Opportunities
Graduates from this program may continue their studies at university and may receive credit for their prior College education.
Refer to College/University Agreements for further information.
Please note: Cambrian College strives to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website. Please note that the academic curriculum is continually reviewed and revised to ensure that Cambrian's programs and courses remain relevant. The College reserves the right to cancel or make changes to any course or program, fee, procedure, or campus location at any time.