Environmental Monitoring & Impact Assessment (EMPD)
Ontario College Graduate Certificate | 3 semesters | Barrydowne
You will gain the skills and knowledge to practice environmental monitoring and biodiversity conservation, along with the ability to promote ecosystem sustainability on the watershed, atmospheric, and landscape scales.
Course content is shaped by social needs, industry expectations, and regulatory requirements. You will learn about environmental impact assessment methods, remediation technologies, and environmental laws and regulations, including their application across industries and organizations involved in various areas of the environmental sector.
Our graduates can be found working at top environmental and engineering consulting firms such as Golder and Associates and corporations such as Chrysler, as well as in smaller firms and in their own businesses.
- 1 year – 3 semesters
- Placement in semester three
- Program housed in the LEED Gold certified Glencore Centre for Innovation
- Unique focus on the air monitoring and remediation of air, land, and water ecosystems impacted by the mining industry
- Opportunities throughout the year to earn certifications related to the environmental field (e.g. Green Check GPS certification)
- Prepares you to write the Operator-in-Training exam
4D Learning Opportunities
Applied research projects – Students have the opportunity to apply to be part of paid applied research teams to work on new product development alongside industry representatives and Cambrian faculty.
Graduate of a recognized two-, three-, or four-year postsecondary program in a relevant discipline (Biology, Chemistry, Earth/Environmental Science/Studies, Geology, Geography, Civil Engineering, Mining Engineering, Chemical Engineering).
Semester 1 - Fall 2016
Semester 2 - Winter 2017
Semester 3 - Spring 2017
Program of Study
|EMI 7100||Air Quality Assessment||3|
|EMI 7105||Hydrology Water Quality Assess||3|
|EMI 7110||Environmental Issues Ethics||2|
|EMI 7115||Biodiversity Conservation||3|
|EMI 7125||Experiment Design Data Analysis||3|
|EMI 7210||Industrial Impact/Mine Reclamation||3|
|EMI 7220||Solid Waste Management||3|
|EMI 7120||GIS Applications||3|
|EMI 7130||Technical Writing||2|
|EMI 7200||Environmental Impact Assess Model||3|
|EMI 7205||Water Remediation Techniques||3|
|EMI 7215||Environmental Physiology||3|
|EMI 7225||Air Pollution Abatement||3|
|EMI 7230||Fish Wildlife Restoration||3|
|EMI 7300||Environmental Sampling Analysis||8|
Tuition Fee (Canadian Students)
The tuition fee for the 2015-2016 academic year is $7,155.50 for three semesters of study. Next year's tuition fees will be available by May 1, 2016.
Tuition Fee (International Students)
The tuition fee for the 2015-2016 academic year is $15,192.38 for three semesters of study. Next year's tuition fees will be available by May 1, 2016.
Books & Supplies
The estimated cost of books and supplies for 2015-2016 is approximately $900. This is the best information available at the time of publishing to the website and is subject to change.
Graduates may find employment in various environmental monitoring, auditing, and assessment roles with:
- Industry (mining, pulp and paper, logging, construction)
- Government (Ministry of the Environment, Ministry of Natural Resources, Ministry of Northern Development and Mines)
- Municipalities (conservation authorities, water treatment facilities)
- Educational institutions (university and college technicians/technologists, instructors, research assistants)
- Private environmental consulting and engineering firms
Please note: Cambrian College strives to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website. Please note that the academic curriculum is continually reviewed and revised to ensure that Cambrian's programs and courses remain relevant. The College reserves the right to cancel or make changes to any course or program, fee, procedure, or campus location at any time.