Advanced Care Paramedic (APPD)
Ontario College Graduate Certificate | 2 semesters | Barrydowne
Add to your Primary Care Paramedic training to advance your career and increase your salary while making a difference in the health of your community. You will undertake advanced training delivered through a combination of classroom, simulation, clinical, and preceptorship environments. You will also complete preceptorship through a combination of Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) land and ACP flight (ACP-F) exposure.
This is a full-time program and, in some instances, you may be able to continue working as a Primary Care Paramedic during your studies.
This program is based on the Ministry of Health Paramedic Syllabus, the National Occupational Competencies for Paramedicine, and holds accreditation from Accreditation Canada.
- 1 year - 2 semesters
- 2 placements
- Opportunity to complete a combination of ACP land/ACP flight preceptorship
- Possibility to work while you learn
Successful completion of this program qualifies candidates to write the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Advanced Care Paramedic Theory Examination
Please note that possession of the requirements does not guarantee admission. If the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of places available in the program, the College reserves the right to select from among those applicants. All students applying by February 1 will be given equal consideration. Preference will be given to Ontario residents. Please see the Limited Enrolment F.A.Q.'s on our website under "How to Apply" for further details.
Graduate of a Primary Care Paramedic program or equivalent. Students must possess an Advanced Emergency Medical Care Assistant (A-EMCA) certificate, issued by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, prior to program commencement.
Complete an entrance exam in order to be considered for acceptance
- Criminal record check including vulnerable sector screening – this must not show evidence of a crime of moral turpitude
- CPR (Health Care Practitioner level) and Standard First Aid which must be valid through the duration of the program
- Class F driver’s license
- Current immunization status as outlined by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Emergency Health Services Branch as well as additional requirements as determined by various clinical sites. This information is provided once accepted into the program, alternatively it be received earlier by contacting the Program Coordinator
- AODA and WHMIS 2015 training
- N95 and P100 Mask Fit Testing, to be completed prior to program commencement (students are responsible for the fee)
- A lift test may be required for those students completing field placement at select EMS services
Upon completion of this program, graduates must be successful in the Advanced Care Paramedic Theory Examination set by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Emergency Health Services Branch, in order to be eligible to work in an ambulance service in Ontario. To be eligible to work as an Advanced Care Paramedic (Flight), the student must also complete an Aeromedical course and be successful in the Aeromedical Exam which is set by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Emergency Health Services Branch.
This program will be delivered in the following terms:
Fall Term Start
- SEMESTER 1 Fall 2019
- SEMESTER 2 Winter 2020
For specific term start/end dates and other key dates/deadlines, please see the Academic Schedule posted on our website.
Program of Study
|APG 1002||Advanced Pharmacology and Laboratory Tests||2|
|APG 1004||Clinical Experience||8|
|APG 1005||Adv. Assessment & Treatment||12|
|APG 7100||Professional Responsibilities||2|
|APG 7111||Physiology and Pathophysiology||4|
|APG 1000||ACP Review & Evaluation||1|
|APG 1007||ACP Field Experience||8|
Tuition and Ancillary Fees
Please see our fees page for the breakdown of tuition and mandatory ancillary fees by program and semester for both domestic and international students
Books and Supplies
The cost of books and supplies for Year 1 is approximately $1,400. This is the best information available at the time of publishing to the website and is subject to change.
The need for Advanced Care Paramedics is growing. The employment growth rate is average to above average because of the aging population, increased coverage of health care plans, and new technological advancements. You may find employment with:
- Municipal and regional emergency medical services
- Health care services
- Flight transfer services (such as ORNGE, formerly Ontario Air Ambulance)
- Emergency medical services in other provinces or countries
College/University Degree Opportunities
Graduates from this program may continue their studies at college/university and may receive credit for their prior College education.
Refer to College/University Agreements for further information.
Please note: Cambrian College strives to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website. Please note that the academic curriculum is continually reviewed and revised to ensure that Cambrian's programs and courses remain relevant. The College reserves the right to cancel or make changes to any course or program, fee, procedure, or campus location at any time.